SALCEDO, July 12, 2018–A state of calamity was declared in Salcedo town last week. after an outbreak of dengue.
This was confirmed by Meghann Villanueva, surveillance coordinator of the PHO.
Data from the Provincial Health office showed 93 cases reported in the municipality from January to June, this year.
Mayor Melchor Melgar immediately activated the Anti Dengue Task Force in the municipal and barangay levels, and ordered barangay captains to lead in cleaning their barangays.
The whole municipality participated in the search and destroy campaign to get rid of mosquitoes and destroy their breeding grounds.
In an interview, Dr. Rodel Delgado, Technical Section Chief of the Provincial Health office said that 46 dengue cases were reported in Salcedo from June 11 to July 3, higher than their five year average which was the basis for declaring an outbreak.
Eleven barangays were affected. He said that about 60% of the victims were children five years old and below.
Two deaths were recorded in Bgy Casilion, two boys, 8 and 13 years old. Both died at the EVRMC in Tacloban.
Dr. Delgado said that the municipal government has decided to buy dengue test kits, fogging machines and reagents for blood testing.
Delgado lauded the fast action of the municipal government to combat the outbreak. He said that even if a state of calamity was declared, the calamity is under control.
While there are still reported cases of dengue, the number is now going down.
The PHO continues to monitor the situation in Salcedo, with daily reports coming from municipal health officials.
The PHO said there were 145 reported cases in the province in the first half of the year, with Salcedo having the most number of cases, followed by Borongan, San Policarpo, Dolores and Can-avid. (Eden Cidro/Este News)