“Communicating hope and trust in our time.”

- Pope Francis

Priest’s death mourned

Borongan Bishop Varquez blesses the remains of Fr. Campo in Guiuan Church. (Alren Beronio / Este News)

TACLOBAN CITY, February 16, 2018–The clergy of the Diocese of Borongan in Eastern Samar led by Bishop Crispin Varquez are being joined by priests of the Archdiocese of Palo in Leyte in mourning the sudden death of Rev. Fr. Moses Campo.

Campo, the parish priest of the Immaculate Conception Parish in Guiuan, Eastern Samar, died in a vehicular accident on Tuesday, while his assistant priest was seriously injured in another vehicular accident on same day.

Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish Priest Rev. Fr. Virgilio Manaog said Fr. Campo will be missed by the people and parishioners of Guiuan town.

“He was a good priest. He will be missed and remembered by the people and parishioners of Guiuan as Fr. Moses was instrumental in the rehabilitation of their damaged church. It will be inaugurated soon but he is already gone,” Manaog said.

It is still a big question that two priests coming from the same parish met an accident on the same day and one of them died, Manaog said.

But Manaog explained that as the whole Christendom entered the 40-day season of Lent with the observance of Ash Wednesday, the faithful are reminded that life on this earth is fleeting.

Fr. Campo died on the spot after his service vehicle was reportedly sideswiped by a cargo truck along the national highway at Brgy. Naparaan in Salcedo town which is just few kilometers to Guiuan.

His remains now lie at the rectory in Guiuan town.

On the same day, his assistant, Fr. Edmel Raagas, also met an accident at Barangay Anuron in nearby Mercedes town.

The priest’s car caught fire after it rammed an electric post.

Residents helped the priest escape from the burning vehicle while responding firemen from the Mercedes Fire Station arrived to control the fire.

Raagas is now being treated in a private hospital in Tacloban City and prayers are being offered for the priest’s early recovery.

The two priests were on their way home to Guiuan town after attending their regular bimonthly presbyteral meeting in the capital of Borongan City.

Both vehicular accidents happened during heavy rains brought about by typhoon Basyang. (Nestor L. Abrematea / Visayas Times)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Current day month ye@r *