MAYDOLONG, E. SAMAR, September 13, 2018 – An increasing number of pilgrims who look for a place of prayer and solitude start to visit the newly blessed monastery in Borongan diocese.
Administered by the Sisters of the Order of St. Clare or more commonly known as Poor Clares, the Monastery of the Divine Mercy was solemnly blessed and its chapel dedicated.
The historic inauguration was presided by Borongan Bishop, Most Rev. Crispin Varquez, DD together with Calbayog Bishop, Most Rev. Isabelo Abarquez, DD.
Fr. Albert Marfil, OFM, the Religious Assistant of the Poor Clares in the Philippines, delivered the homily during the Mass. Mother Marietta Vega, OSC, the Federation President of the Poor Clares in the Philippines, gave her message of gratitude before the final blessing.
Located at Brgy. Camada, Maydolong, Eastern Samar, the monastery’s lot was donated by Judge and Mrs Renato Noel Echague, while Mr. Victor Consunji and Family was the main donor of the new set of buildings.
The Order of St. Clare, the second order of the Franciscan family, was founded by St. Clare and St. Francis in the year 1212.
Professing the vows of poverty, chastity, obedience, and enclosure, the contemplative sisters devote long periods of prayer and meditation. (Edmel Raagas/Este News)