MAYDOLONG, July 13, 2019–The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday urged the public to follow the 4S strategy after reports showed an eight percent (8%) increase in dengue cases this year.
According to the latest report of the DOH Epidemiology Bureau, there were 3,610 reported cases of dengue for June 16 to 22 this year which is 8% higher than the 3,330 reported cases on the same period last year.
The cumulative total of dengue cases recorded this year since January 1 to June 22 is 98,179, with 428 deaths.
The highest number of cases came from Western Visayas (11,285), CALABARZON (10,313), Central Visayas (8773), SOCCSKSARGEN (8,297) and Southern Mindanao (8,289).
“The rains have come and it only takes about two weeks for mosquitoes to breed and fully mature into dengue-causing mosquitoes, hence it is time to implement the 4S strategy in our households,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said.
The 4S stands for “Search and destroy” mosquito breeding sites, employ “Self-protection measures,” “Seek early consultation” and “Support fogging and spraying” in hotspot areas were cases are reported to have increased for two consecutive weeks to prevent an outbreak.
Maydolong Municipal Health Officer Dr. Samuel E. Baldono said that barangay dengue brigades and sanitary inspectors were mobilized to conduct larval surveys on barangays to identify if there are cases of dengue.
Out of 9 barangays that submitted their reports, 7 barangays were found to have dengue sensitive cases.
“We advise the implementation of general cleanups in the community and the use of mosquito nets instead of relying on mosquito coils,” Dr. Baldono added.
The health department appealed to the public to take to heart the 4S strategy especially in Metro Manila where water rationing is implemented.
“Cover all water containers in order to prevent mosquitoes from breeding. Let’s do the 4S,” Health Secretary Duque concluded. (Nikko Bajado / ESTE News)